Women LOVE chocolate. And I love chocolate. Not just milk chocolate or dark chocolate, but almost ALL things chocolate.
If I were to give in to that chocolate craving every time it hit, I would be as big as the side of a barn. Although some days I feel as though I am close to that!
What I have tried to do is come up with some reasonable chocolate items that I can have occasion and it won’t break the calorie bank. Below are 10 of my favorite:
1. Chocolate skim milk- I have always loved Nestle’s Quik! And as I have gotten older, I have decreased the amount of powder I put in a cup of milk. This is a great one as it has ZERO fat in it.
2. Tootsie Rolls- I have a love-hate relationship with Tootsie Rolls. They do help reduce my craving, but I don’t LOVE them. I keep them on hand to have 2 or 3 and a cup of skim milk when I am dying for something sweet and chocolate.
3. Betty Crocker Lowfat Brownies- I have to be very careful when I make brownies. I love them and could eat the whole pan within a day. Kinda defeats the whole lowfat thing.
When I do make them, I eat one or two, and then bag the rest in individual serving sizes in a little plastic snack bag. And put straight into the freezer. This has worked for me several times, and I only ate one per day! (about 160 calories) Much better alternative than the Mug Brownie calorie-wise!
4. Hershey’s Kisses- Try the new Air Delight Aerated Kisses. They taste yummy, and half about half the calories. (about 10 calories per Kiss)
5. Fudgsicles- There are many different brands and types of these, and are very creamy and chocolately and most are less than 100 calories. And the half-size pops are usually 45 calories.
6. Believe it or not, a Snickers bar and a protein bar/meal replacement bar (not the MEGA protein bars) have comparable nutritional data. If I need to grab something FAST to tie me over til dinner, a Snickers bar can do the trick (the peanuts add protein). And if you are eating a relatively healthy diet, a 280 calorie bar ON OCCASION in the afternoon, will not hurt. I would not, however, recommend eating one as a bedtime snack.
7. Granola bars- Quaker and many other brands make a 100 calorie granola bar with chocolate chips in them!
8. Jello Pudding cups- They have chocolate and many other variations in flavors.
9. Chocolate covered strawberries- Strawberries are coming into season. Melt a half a chocolate bar and dip strawberries in. I prefer cold chocolate, so I put in the fridge for a few minutes to cool before eating.
10. I fell in love with Chocolate Teddy Grahams when my kids were younger and will on occasion buy them. The only way this works however, is if just like the brownies, I package up right away into serving sizes! Perfect with a glass of skim milk!
I think one of the KEY points in eating chocolate and satisfying that craving is MODERATION.