Mothers today seem to have 3 full time jobs, whether you work inside the home, outside the home, from a coffee shop or your car! We are just downright BUSY all the time.
Many would say that we HAVE to be so busy to keep up with life today. That may be true to a degree, but I believe there are at least 3 reasons why women are so exhausted all the time. You may be surprised at what these are.
3 reasons why moms are on overload
1. You do everything yourself.
You feel like if something is going to get done, YOU have to do it. Here are a few areas you might need to lighten up:
- Ask for your spouse’s help and accept his level of performance. So he doesn’t put a diaper on straight, BIG DEAL.
- After working in some capacity all day, instead of fixing dinner and calling the family in when it is ready, get the kids, and hubby, to help with dinner. You’d be surprised what kids can do!
- Laundry, housework, will the world come to an end if it isn’t done YOUR way? Again, enlist the help of the kids, and the hubby, especially if you work outside the home. Teach kids to do a good job, but accept they probably WON’T do it as well as you, but THAT IS OKAY!
- Look for ways to use services or convenience items to lighten your load. Buy pre-cooked and pre-cut stuff at the grocery store. Consider if at this season in your life you should hire a cleaning service to come in once or twice a month.
With kids, we are presented so many opportunities to DO so many things for and with them. Consider saying NO to some of those requests. If you have a hard time saying NO, read my post Unleashing Your Inner Two Year Old.
Determine what is MOST important to you and your family, and learn to say NO to other requests. Obviously there will be times when you say YES from the goodness of your heart, but be very specific with these times.
3. You think that you HAVE to do things to measure up with other moms
This is a difficult one. It is one that most of us wouldn’t necessarily admit, but deep down inside we have that nagging feeling that “everyone else” does it, so I should be able to as well.
The thing is, ALL of us feel that way! We are all looking at each other in awe of how another mom gets “everything” done, while another mom is looking at you and asking herself the same question!
We run ourselves ragged trying to do what we think everyone else is doing. We are so worried that we are not measuring up to other mom’s standards. But who is setting those standards? Unfortunately the media and Hollywood have a lot to do with it, but so do we.
As women, we need to allow our self the grace and freedom to embrace our imperfection!
It is time to step up and say it is OKAY not to have it all together.
It is OKAY if our house is a wreck.
It is OKAY if we ate fast food 4 times this week.
It is OKAY if you bottle feed or use disposable diapers.
It is OKAY if you buy snack for your kids class instead of making homemade.
It is OKAY if you don’t recycle.
By allowing yourself to BE who you are, your absolutely WONDERFUL imperfect self, you free other moms to be and do the same!
And remember, your kids don’t NEED a perfect mom. They need a mom who loves them and is present in their lives, and is physically and emotionally well.
It is time to take care of YOU!