With everything that we as women have to take care of, we need all the energy boosting we can get. And it doesn’t need to come in the form of lattes of Red Bull or even 5 Hour Energy shots. And please, for the sake of your heart, stay away from Monsters and espresso double shots!
It is important that we learn to take care of ourselves and build good habits into our lives that will give us our energy more naturally. And it is just better for you all the way around. You have more energy, for longer periods and you don’t have the awful crash when it all wears off!
10 ways to boost your energy today
1. Make sure your diet includes regular portions of a low fat protein and complex carbohydrate. That is maybe easier to do at meal times, for instance a whole grain english muffin with egg and a slice of cheese. But it is important at snack time as well, to help keep your blood sugar at a more even level. Try a boiled egg and a few wheat crackers. Or an apple slices dipped in peanut butter. I am hooked on these bars I discovered at a health food store in another town, good thing I can order online, which I have proceeded to do!
Having these balanced snacks will take some planning and preparation. You either need to have them on hand or know what you can order when you go out. Instead of french fries at McDonald’s, consider their Apple Walnut snack. It is a perfect combination!
2. Drink. And I mean water, not alcohol, lol! Most of us are in a dehydrated state. If you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. keep a water bottle by your side and drink it all day long. If you have a difficult time keeping up with how much your are drinking, buy a LARGE water bottle, 64 ounces, and know you should drink 2 of those in a day. If you have a smaller bottle, I have heard of putting a couple of rubber bands around the bottle for the number of times you need to fill up each day. Remove a band each time you fill and when all the bands are gone, you have had your intake for the day.
My husband and I use this water bottle. I like that it is large and if I drink 3, I have done well for the day. Another way I make sure I get enough water is to not drink anything else (other than my 2 cups of half-caf in the morning), I drink water with all my meals and that is all I order when we go out. Good for the waistline as well!
3. Get up and move. Not talking about exercise here. If you are feeling sleepy and sluggish, get up and do something more physical. If you are at work, that may mean taking something down the hall, running to the restroom, etc. If you work from home like I do, I will get up and throw a load of laundry in, load the dishes, walk out to the mailbox.
And if you seriously want to get your blood pumping and your mind clear, turn up some of your favorite tunes and dance a bit. Whether you are by yourself or with your favorite 2 year old dance partner, nothing can boost energy like a 10 minute dance break!
4. Get outside. Especially as the weather is beginning to cool. I stand on the porch first thing in the morning as I let my dog out to do his business. I take a few minutes to take some deep breaths, allowing the cooler air and oxygen to clear my head and help wake me, even before coffee! But even if it is NOT cool, the freshness of the new morning is invigorating if you allow if to be. Take a moment to enjoy!
5. Get up and dressed. If you work from home, get up and get a shower and get dressed. Down to the shoes. You don’t have to be dressed up, but look decent and you’ll feel decent! If you have little ones and getting a shower is more difficult, wash your face, brush your hair and put on some clothes! It will make you feel better, I promise!
And as far as clothes go, make sure wherever you are, that you are wearing clothes you feel comfortable, yet confident in. This will also help you feel better about yourself and build your energy!
6. Don’t let the day just happen to you. Have a plan, even if it is just an outline. Go over your things that need to get done the night before. When you wake up in the morning, you already know what your top priorities are for the day. Do your best to work towards those things, even if life gets in the way. You know where you are headed so you can keeping making adjustments and heading back in the right direction.
7. Consider a diet makeover. I am not talking about diet in the sense of losing weight. I am talking about how you eat, everything you put into your body. In our recent juice fast, we realized just how much junk and processed foods we were putting into our bodies. We switched our diet from 95% processed foods (basically anything that comes from a package!) to about 95% fruits, veggies, lean and clean protein. While it takes some getting used to, it can be done and makes a big difference.
Think about it. Food is not really for our enjoyment. I mean, that is secondary. First and foremost, food is fuel for our bodies. Have you been fueling your body with low quality fuel? Is it any wonder you feel like crap? I just encourage you to think about how you are feeding your body.
8. Exercise in the morning. The best energy boost you can get is by exercising in the morning. It revs your motor for the rest of the day. Buckle your kids in a stroller and go for a walk. It will only happen if you MAKE if happen. If possible, join a gym so you can have childcare while you work out. However, if you cannot, don’t let it be an excuse. There are TONS of workout videos online that can be done, the hard part is just doing it!
And if you don’t get your exercise in the morning? That is okay too, just do it whenever you can fit it into your day! Even several 10 minute segments can be helpful in boosting your energy and helping you to get fit.
9. Consider some natural supplements. Some that I have used are flax oil, fish oil, b-12 and ginseng. Most of these can be used with no issues, but if you are pregnant or under a doctor’s care, check with them before adding them. And if you DO take any of these, don’t take them later in the afternoon until you know how your body will respond. Otherwise, you may be up all night, lol!
10. Sleep. Work on getting enough sleep. If you have younger kids, this may be difficult at this season in your life. Just know that if you are sleep deprived, sleep is more important than housework at this point. If your kids are sleeping, you should be sleeping! Get good at catnaps while your little one naps. I am not a good napper, but learned to fall asleep quickly when my 2nd daughter was born!
If you are beyond that little kid stage ( and it will come to an end one day, I promise!) you still need to make sure you are not staying up too late trying to get some peace and quiet while you work online or watch TV. Adequate sleep will do more for you than having your peace and quiet.
I encourage you to go over this list and pick 2 or 3 things you can work on THIS week. And then next week make more changes. It is important that you learn to take care of yourself, get the most out of your energy without draining yourself completely.
What are you going to do differently today?
I am linking this post with Amanda’s Top Ten Tuesday!